Brian Freeman renovated Goodland’s Moose Lodge, which had greatly deteriorated. The building then became a coffee house, The Goodland Grind. He then added this mural (PDF), Bygone Days on the Bricks, to its south side in the summer of 2007 with help from a $2,000 grant from Kansas Arts Commission. Laurie Albin from WaKeeney painted it in an Art Deco color scheme at Freeman’s request.
The building changed hands and became The Bricks by Meg, 1530 Main.
These greyhounds honor the rescued racing greyhounds that Freemans owned at time of the mural’s painting.
A Rock Island steam engine is shown in a different section of the mural photo. Goodland was a Rock Island Railroad division point until the railroad folded operations.
Freeman was an artist himself. He painted The Big Rooster in Gulick Park. Albin also helped paint History of the Opera House mural at 10th and Main. She restored the painting on the back wall of the Sherman Theatre.by